Training/Education Pre-Approval Application:
The Maine Prevention Certification Board (MPCB) accepts applications to pre-approve contact hours for training/education sessions that meet Maine Prevention Certification Board requirements for Prevention Specialist certification and recertification. Pre-approval of trainings/educational sessions is not required for the contact hours to count towards Maine’s prevention specialist certification; however, pre-approval does provide some benefits to both the training provider and the participants. By getting pre-approval, trainers will be able to market their offerings as pre-approved by the Maine Prevention Certification Board which may increase interest and enrollment. Pre-approval also helps prevention professionals know with certainty that their investment in participating in the training will count towards the required training hours for obtaining or sustaining their Maine Certified Prevention Specialist credential.
Instructions to apply can be found in the application available for download below. The MPCB will review training/education pre-approval applications at its monthly meetings. Applications and supporting documents must be submitted at least two months prior to the scheduled event. MCPB Pre-approval of training/education offerings is good for 2 years from date of approval notice. Any changes to the training format, instructor(s), or curriculum will require a new application for approval.
Pre-Approval Fee: $20 per contact hour
Training/education sessions must meet all of the following criteria in order for the MPCB to grant pre-approval:
- Sessions are directly related to the practice of one or more of the prevention specialist educational domains, as documented in the course objectives.
- The sponsoring organization or institution has demonstrated experience in providing education and training by instructors who are knowledgeable and experienced in evidence-based and promising prevention interventions as documented by the organization’s past trainings OR the instructor is knowledgeable and experienced in evidence-based and promising prevention interventions, as documented by the instructor’s resume.
- Course objectives are SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound)
- Contact hours are documented on the agenda and are included in the course certificate of completion.
- The completed course evaluations are available to the MPCB, on request.