The application for CERTIFIED PREVENTION SPECIALIST (PS-C) has two steps:
1. Submission of a complete application for PS-C Certification: Applicant experience, supervised practical experience, education/training, adherence to the Code of Ethical Standards, a statement that the applicant lives or works in Maine 51% of the time, and three references must be provided using the forms in DOWNLOADS on this website. A non‐refundable $150.00 fee includes application processing and two years of certification. Applications may be submitted electronically or mailed in. Fees are paid on-line or by check, using the “Payment” dropdown menu on this site.
2. Successful completion of the IC&RC Prevention Specialist Exam: The IC&RC exam is taken on-line at an approved testing center. Testing Window Policy: Candidates approved to sit for the exam will have 12 months from the date their application is approved to take the exam. Your certification is not effective until the Maine Prevention Certification Board has approved your application and you have passed the IC&RC Prevention Specialist exam. A separate $115.00 IC&RC examination fee is paid when the candidate has scheduled an appointment for the test.
The application for PROVISIONAL PREVENTION SPECIALIST (PPS) has one step:
1. Submission of a complete application for PPS certification: This application (in DOWNLOADS) contains general information and forms for listing experience and education. A signed form affirming that you will adhere to the Code of Ethical Standards is also required. A non‐refundable $50.00 fee includes application processing and two years of certification. Applications may be submitted electronically or mailed in. Fees are paid on-line or by check, using the “Payment” dropdown menu on this site.
- Planning and Evaluation
- Prevention Education and Service Delivery
- Community Organization
- Public Policy and Environmental Change
- Professional Growth and Responsibility
Certification Period & Renewal: The Maine certification period for both the PS-C and the PPS is two years from the time of approval. The re-certification fee for the Certified Prevention Specialist is $75.00. The re-certification fee for the Provisional Prevention Specialist is $50.00 for the single 2-year renewal period that is allowed. It is the responsibility of the applicant to notify the Maine Prevention Certification Board of any contact information changes such as name, address, email address, and phone number during the two years of certification. A lack of communication from the applicant about such changes could delay the re-certification process. Failure to re-certify will result in the loss of the Prevention Certificate.